Saturday 7 July 2012

My Tribute to Late Dr Bhupen Hazarika


Dr Bhupen Hazarika – Poet in Melodies

When I went my home in Puja, I purchased 2 CDs of vintage evergreen collections of the maestro. In late night when everything falls quite, I used to listen some of these old songs which immediately transported me to my childhood days when these songs used to waft down from a distance from the Puja Pandals during Durgapuja. Not only listening “Manush Manusher Jonoye (Manuho Manuher Bare)”, “Aj Jibon Khuje Pabi” or “Dola” is a pleasure on its own – but it rekindles the long-lost childhood days of innocence and a pain in one corner of the heart for something that will never come back.

 But the song I liked best amongst his eternal numbers was an underdog “dug dug dug domboroo, meghe bajaye dambaroo”. Not only the melody, the haunting interludes in guitar, but the entire lyrics of the song immediately paints a picture in the canvas of a dark stormy night in rural Assam with lightning and thunder in sky (a pair of beautiful piece of lyrics in between compared the silvery fishes in the ponds seems to reflect or hold the flashes of bright lightnings – I have rarely came across such poetic allegory in modern Bengali songs – never nowadays, rarely earlier as well). And with its poetic lyrics the song actually passes on a strong protest and statement against petty casteism of Indian society which prevents relationship between upper and lower cast boys and girls. Its portrayal of a lover couple fleeing fearlessly in the deep darkness through the village of Assam in a stormy night (with fireflies providing them light, the stormy nights providing them the auspicious “mantra” of marriage and such allegories), solely on the basis of the strength of their love and trampling away the decaying narrow-minded social structure and all other barriers that come on their way, I believe it was his one of the gem, one of the best.

 And no one remembers today Late Mr Shibdas Mukhopadhaya – it was this wonderfully gifted lyricist, who translated all of his gems from Assamese to Bengali without compromising on the quality and nuances of the original lyrics. This gifted lyricist was an inseparable gem sharing the glory of the maestro’s creation. With his masterful lyrics, the night of Assam came alive in this song.

 My memory of 12 years in stay in Assam with extensive travelling (sometimes in the dead of night and often in stormy nights) from Siliguri to Guwahati by road, from Guwahati to Pobitora / Mayong / Tezpur and onwards towards both sides Balipara to Arunachal, to Numaligarh, Dibrugarh, Sualkuchi, Hajo, Goalpara, Dhubri, Darrang, Mangaldoi etc and the close social interaction that me and my family (my wife belongs to N-E) keeps on hauntingly coming back as I read Dr Bhupen Hazarika’s obituary and listen his numbers. Deep down at one corner of my mind there is an agony of eternal loss, losing the maestro and with him, losing the pristine picture of Assam that was. May be one day even if I ever go back to Assam, will it be the same green pristine emerald of a state – or will it be transformed into a monolith of concrete by then?? Guwahati is already being converted into a Mall-City. Already Assaemse-Rock Videos and Albums were the only sustainable means for many Assamese artists when I left Guwahati this year. Assamese movies are not having markets. The modern ambassador of Assamese culture is Zubin Garg (Ya Ali famed). Is the rich culture of Assam is also going the Bengali way??

 Leave it – for the time being, let the memory of the eternal number prevail. I only wish more would have contributed to your topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment